Meeting Venue: Salt Palace Convention Center
- Salt Lake County installed a 1.65 megawatt rooftop solar array atop the Salt Palace Convention Center in the heart of downtown Salt Lake.
- The 2006 expansion of the SPCC was awarded the U.S. Green Building Council's Silver LEED Certification for being designed and constructed utilizing environmentally responsible methods and materials.
- Construction materials used for the 2006 expansion including steel, carpet and drywall were made with at least 10% recycled content. Adhesives, carpet and paint were all manufactured with low-emitting chemical materials.
- Other rooftop solar panels provide 20 kilowatt hours/day to power the underground parking lighting.
- Administrative offices use motion sensors for lighting systems.
- Restroom paper products have at least 20% PCC.
- Single Source Recycling: Ace Disposal company sorts all trash hauled from SPCC and recycles all available material.
- Improved centralized control systems and energy efficient operations of the HVAC system have provided a 35-40% energy savings in the 2006 building expansion, and a 25% energy savings in the original facility.
- Indoor air quality standard is monitored by increasing the air exchange rate in the facility.
- Water-conserving bathroom fixtures include hands free faucets, low flow toilets and waterless urinals.
- Drip irrigation systems and water-efficient landscaping minimizes the SPCC's water use.
- Bike racks are available in the parking structure to promote the use of alternative transportation.
- Preferred parking stalls are offered for all carpooling attendees/employees at the SPCC.
Transportation & Accessibility
- Leave the car behind: the Salt Palace Convention Center is conveniently located within walking distance of more than 7,300 hotel rooms, 200+ restaurants, cafés and bars, and numerous arts, culture, and entertainment venues.
- Salt Lake's TRAX light rail Free Fare Zone connects the Salt Palace Convention Center with Convention District hotels and downtown activities/attractions, reducing the need for shuttle transportation.
- Salt Lake's TRAX light rail connects Salt Lake City International Airport to the Salt Lake Convention District.
- Salt Lake City International Airport is located just 8 minutes from the Salt Lake Convention District.
- Half the U.S. population is located within a 2.5 hour flight of Salt Lake.
- Salt Lake is building 70 miles of light rail and commuter rail along the Wasatch Front corridor, connecting 76% of the state's population with mass transit by 2015.
Food & Beverage: Utah Food Services
- Uses low level water dishwashing machines, reducing usage by 30%.
- Recycles all aluminum and cardboard products in addition to the single source recycling program at the SPCC, and incorporates recycling programs for grease and fry oil.
- Provides weekly food donations to The Road Home Homeless Shelter, the Salt Lake Mission and Utah Food Bank.
- 100% renewable Greenware products available. Uses 100% recycled paper napkins and compostable paper plates.
- Uses local food sources when possible, uses organic food sources upon request.
Utilizes 100% biodegradable non-caustic citrus based all purpose cleaner (Citra-Sol).
View these websites for information on some of Salt Lake’s environmentally-friendly accommodations: