Truly a great moment in Salt Lake history, the 2002 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games happened 20 years ago this month. At the same time the world is turning their eyes to the Beijing Olympic Games, we are celebrating the legacy of incredible games here at home. With events in Salt Lake and all over Utah, the Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation is providing a chance to relive the magic of 2002 as Salt Lake stood in the world spotlight and hosted an incredible 16 days of Olympic sport. From seeing the Cauldron lit again, to skating, Olympic watch parties, official venue tours, competitions, Nordic skiing, learn-to programs, Olympic athlete appearances, and more, now is your chance to participate in a unique and timely celebration.
SALT LAKE CITY/KEARNS
February 8 – 12, 2022: Lighting of the Cauldron at Rice-Eccles Stadium
April 14, 2022: Athlete Homecoming Celebration at Governor’s Utah State of Sport Awards
Presented by Utah Sports Commission, integrated with the Utah State of Sport Awards includes Tokyo and Beijing Olympians and Paralympians
- February 7, 2022: NBC Olympic Rings tour at Utah Olympic Park
9 AM-6 PM
- February 10, 2022: Watch Party @ Utah Olympic Park
6-8 PM. Hosted by Park City Ski & Snowboard. Free for the public. Live slalom, halfpipe, food trucks & hot drinks. Register here.
- February 5, 6, 11, 12, 13, 19 & 20 / March 12 & 13: The Winter Sports Festival presented by Toyota at City Park
“Learn to” programs for all abilities in Figure Skating, Hockey, Sled Hockey & Speedskating. Street Curling for the public to enjoy. Surprise Olympic appearances by athletes like Nancy Kerrigan, Kikkan Randall, Gracie Gold, Andy Yohe & more! Register here.
- February 12, 2022: 20th Anniversary Celebration of the 2002 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games at Bob Wells Plaza
2-5 PM. Video board airing the Games and 2002 highlights, food & drink, local merchants, pin trading, athletes, Olympic demos/experiences, National Ability Center demos, climbing wall, & more.
- February 4-20, 2022: Team USA Store at Kimball Terrace on Main Street
Open daily February 4-20 from 10 AM-8 PM Sunday-Thursday and 10 AM-10 PM Friday & Saturday.
- April 1, 2022: Youth Sports Alliance Olympic & Paralympic Homecoming Parade on Main Street
Park City homegrown and hometown athletes parade.
HEBER VALLEY - SOLDIER HOLLOW NORDIC CENTER
- February 4, 2022: Free Nordic Ski Day
9 AM-2 PM
- February 15, 2022: Tuesday Night Lights, XC Race Series
Join our race series, offering a fun, low-key opportunity to bring the local Nordic community together. Click here for additional details.
- February 22, 2022: IBU Youth and Junior World Championships Biathlon
Opening Ceremony & races. Come watch the world’s future Olympians and world-class junior athletes compete.
February 14-26, 2022: University Place Celebration
10 AM-9 PM. Display of flags, memorabilia and photos from the 2002 Games.
February 19, 2022: University Place Celebration
2-5 PM. Come meet 2002 Gold Medalist Derek Parra.
February 12, 2022: Skate like an Olympian at Peaks Ice Arena
1:30-4:30 PM. Extended public skate. Watch past Olympic highlights and Disney’s Miracle while on the ice! Olympic memorabilia, photo ops, raffles, and goodie bags. Goodie bags available while supplies last.