The 2017 Ski City Shootout
February 27 - March 4, 2017
2017 marks the Ski City Shootout's 10th Year. The Shootout is once again pairing up the top professional photographers and pro athletes to battle it out for more than $13,000 in case prizes and bragging rights as they attempt to capture the magic of Ski City and the Cottonwood Canyon resorts on film and sensor.
New This Year
To celebrate the Shootout's 10th Anniversary, we're making it bigger and better than ever.
- The 2017 Shootout will be our first invitational, and our first locals only competition. We've invited the best photographers in the Wasatch, and instead of an athlete application and draft as we have done in the past, photographers will select their own team of athletes.
- We've partnered with Farm to Feet as the Official Sock of Ski City - stay tuned for an exciting new Shootout opportunity for participating photographers!
- The Facebook Category was retired last year, but the prize money was added to the Athlete's Choice Category.
1st place gets $800 + a full-page ad in POWDER Magazine's Photo Annual
2nd place gets $700
3rd place gets $500
- Urban Meets Mountain/Off the Mountain will now be called Mountain Lifestyle & Culture. By removing the urban element to this category, we hope photographers and their teams are able to spend more time in the mountains.
Who's facing off in the 2017 Shootout?
Every year we have a great lineup of established professionals and up-and-coming photographers stoked on capturing winter action in ways that make people stop and pick their jaws up off the floor. Ski City and its four resort partners want the best of the best to face off in our peak-packed venue, which receives more than 500 inches of "The Greatest Snow on Earth" each year. This year's invitational includes the bbest photographers from the Wasatch. Check back soon to see who made the cut!
The contest is being held over a four-day period, with one day dedicated to each Cottonwood Canyon resort, respectively: Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude. Imagery will be submitted at the end of the week in the following categories:
Ski City Portfolio
Each photographer submits a portfolio of eight photographs showcasing the best two images shot at each resort. Portfolios should capture the magic of each Cottonwood Canyon resort — showcasing what truly makes each resort special.
- 1st Place Portfolio - $3,700
- 2nd Place Portfolio - $2,700
- 3rd Place Portfolio - $1,700
Mountain Lifestyle & Culture
Ski City is unrivaled when it comes to accessibility. You can ski all day at a world-class resort, and spend your evening dining in an urban setting, going to a Jazz game, or attending a concert.
Professional Photographers will submit a photo depicting what defines Ski City—show us the culture and lifestyle of Ski City.
- 1st Place Mountain Lifestyle & Culture Category - $1000
Farm to Feet Category
We've partnered with Farm to Feet as the Official Sock of Ski City - stay tuned for an exciting new Shootout opportunity for participating photographers!
Each skier, working with his or her photographer, submits one photo of his or her choice from the week, from which Ski City’s panel of judges will choose a first, second, and third-place winner. One-time photo rights of the winning image will be given to Ski City for use in an ad promoting the athlete, photographer, and the Ski City Shootout in a future POWDER Magazine issue.
- 1st Place, Athlete's Choice – Full page ad in Powder Magazine + $800
- 2nd Place, Athlete's Choice – $700
- 3rd Place, Athlete's Choice – $500
Skiers selected to participate in the 2017 Ski City Shootout will be encouraged to submit photos throughout the competition on Instagram with the hashtag #skicity. The top three Instagram photos, chosen by Ski City’s panel of judges, will each be awarded two (2) Ski City Super Passes.