New Concession Program Announced by Salt Lake City International Airport
Through a competitive solicitation process, vendors proposed products or services in bundled packages of retail spaces. The approach was designed to give concessionaires optimal exposure, better serve airport customers and bring in new concepts with both retail and food and beverage offerings.
Customers will soon enjoy an airport rendition of local favorites: Market Street Grill, Café Rio, Greek Souvlaki, Salt Lake Pizza and Pasta, High West Distillery, Millcreek Coffee and Veloce Cucina Toscana.
The locally owned Salt Lake Brewing Company will continue to operate Squatter's Pub Brewery along with Krispy Kreme doughnuts and will add Vino Volo/Ale House and Jamba Juice. A locally franchised McDonald's outlet joins the food service options.
Local company, Air Terminal Gifts (ATG), will continue to have a presence in the Airport. It partnered with Atlanta based Hojeij Branded Foods and garnered 15 locations in the food and beverage program two of which will feature Wendy's and Pei Wei.
Retail concepts with local connections include: The Deseret News, the KidZoo (featuring Hogle Zoo), KSL 5 News, The Red Onion TravelMart, EA Sports, Sam Weller's Books, Sego Lily Spa and Simply Books (featuring the Children's Hour).
Utah! and Utah's Own shops will feature local and Utah-related products. With a unique approach, Visit Salt Lake (the local convention and visitor's bureau) will provide a similar array of products that they feature in their Salt Palace gift shop along with visitor information and local event promotion in a store aptly named - Visit Salt Lake.
No Boundaries will sell outdoor and adventure products in conjunction with Outdoor Retailers that holds two annual conventions in Salt Lake City. They will feature items from several locally based sports and outdoor oriented product companies.
In addition, this opportunity will bring some unique concepts that aren't locally present including Cat Cora's Lounge and Gourmet Market, the French Meadow Bakery & Café, Pinkberry (popular yogurt company), Kiehl's Cosmetics, Brighton Collectibles, Qdoba Mexican Grill and Smashburger. TechShowcase will use the talents of local programmers to display electronic trends and products.
A list of the new concepts is attached along with maps indicating their locations. Detailed descriptions of them are posted on the Airport's web site at: www.slcairport.com.
"This initiative was a big undertaking and required very careful thought and planning," says Maureen Riley, Airport Executive Director, "It is essential that the Airport be creative and use its limited space wisely. We are pleased to be able to offer our customers more choice, a blend of local flavor mixed with national brands they know and a more modern experience".
Phased construction will begin in July and the entire program is expected to be completed in about 18 months. It is the first major redesign of the Airport's concession program since 1959.
The Paradies Shops
• The Paradies Shops has established itself as the industry leader in airport retail for over 50 years. Based in Atlanta, they operate over 500 stores in more than 70 locations across the United States and Canada. They are recognized as the Best Airport Retailer for the past consecutive 15 years, and the Retailer with the Highest Regard for Customer Service for the past 14 years by the Airport Revenue News' "Best of" poll. The Paradies Shops are partnering with local Traci McCormick of Red Onion Food Services.
• Stores include
o The Red Onion TravelMart
o KSL 5 News
o Sam Weller's Books
o InMotion Entertainment
o Sego Lily Spa
o CNBC News
o No Boundaries
o Deseret News
o KidZoo (featuring Hogle Zoo)
o Visit Salt Lake
o Utah's Own
o Brighton Collectibles
o EA Sports
• Operating since 1952, HMSHost's Retail Division has steadily grown into a $400M-plus business with newsstands, news/gift stores, bookstores and specialty retail stores across the United States and Canada.
• Stores include:
o Sunset News
o Radio Road
o The Wall Street Journal News
o Simply Books (featuring The Children's Hour)
o The Economist News
Duty Free Americas Airports
• Duty Free Americas is the largest duty free operator in the continental United States. The company operates 44 duty free stores at 12 U.S. airports including New York, Miami, Chicago, Washington, Boston, San Antonio and Phoenix. The company also operates 64 duty free stores along the U.S. - Mexican and U.S. - Canadian boarders.
• Stores include
o Duty Free Americas (includes both Duty Free and Duty Paid shopping)
o Glamour Walkway
o Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
• Sweet Chocolates is a woman-owned business and has been in existence since 2002 as a franchisee of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory in both Colorado and Utah. The company manufactures an extensive line of premium chocolate candies and other confectionery products and is the world's premier retail chocolatier with 351 franchisee operated stores worldwide.
HMSHost Food and Beverage
• An airport restaurateur with operations in more than 100 airports around the globe, with more than 110 years experience serving the traveling public - first in train stations and then in airports and motorways.
• Restaurants include
o Market Street Grill
o Veloce Cucina Toscana
o Salt Lake Pizza and Pasta
o Café Rio
o Millcreek Coffee Roasters
o Greek Souvlaki
o High West Distillery and Saloon
o French Meadow Bakery & Café
o Auntie Anne's Pretzel Perfect
o Great Wraps
o Fresh Market
Hojeij Branded Foods / Air Terminal Gifts (HBF/ATG)
• For the past 16 years, HBF has operated concessions in the nation's top airports including Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Orlando International, Reagan National, Washington Dulles, Pittsburg, Boston Logan, Dallas Fort Worth and Baltimore Washington International Airports. HBF has partnered with Air Terminal Gifts - a local family-owned business operating at Salt Lake City International airport since 1961.
• Restaurants include
o Pei Wei Asian Diner
o Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
o Cat Cora Lounge and Gourmet Market
o Seattle's Best Coffee
o Ufood Grill
o Qdoba Mexican Grill
o Manchu Wok
o Raising Cane's Chicken
o Boar's Head Deli
• Serving the public since 1955, McDonald's is currently the largest food service organization in the world with over 31,000 restaurants worldwide.
Salt Lake Brewing Company
• Salt Lake Brewing Company was formed in 1988 to own and operate Squatter's Pub Brewery, a full-service restaurant and brewery in downtown Salt Lake City. Since 2000, Squatter's Pub Brewery has been in operation at the Salt Lake City International Airport serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, along with handcrafted beers. Salt Lake Brewing Company has partnered with Taste, Inc. to create a one-of-a-kind restaurant that, in addition to great food, combines handcrafted ales and lagers from Utah's best breweries with fine wines from around the world.
• Restaurants include
o Squatter's Pub Brewery
o Vino Volo / Ale House
o Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
o Jamba Juice