"New Business Openings in Downtown: Word on the Street" from the Downtown Alliance
Eborn Books - 254 South Main Street, moving to former Sam Wellers location, Coffee Garden is staying in its current location.
- JMR Chalk Garden - moving into the former See's Candies space in the Crandall building on the corner of 100 South Main Street.
- Starbucks - moving into the ground level of Crandall Building on the corner of 100 South Main Street.
- Grilla Bites - Natural & organic soups, salads and sandwiches, opening on Gallivan Avenue this spring.
- Bangkok Terrace - Thai restaurant, opening on Gallivan Avenue this spring.
- Called to Surf - Modest swimwear and activewear for water related sports, Utah Co. store opening 2nd location at The Gateway, late spring.
- La Jolla Groves - restaurant serving healthy American cuisine opening early summer at The Gateway.
- Blickenstaff's - Vintage toy and candy shop, opening early summer at The Gateway.
- Malawi's Pizza - restaurant serving Pizza's, salads & pasta, opening early summer at The Gateway.
- Co2 Café - restaurant opening in the former Deseret Lounge space at 323 South Main Street - opening mid summer.
- Shapiro Luggage - moving back downtown into the US Bank building at 170 South Main Street.
- Manhattan Finds - Upscale consignment shop, opening in the former Souvenir Stop location at 149 South Main Street - opened March 22, 2012.
- The Gateway - Several new merchants opened in March 2012: Bettie Page, Epic Board Shop, Francesca's Collection and G-Star Raw.
- City Creek Center - Opened Thursday, March 22, 2012. See full list of stores and restaurants here.
- Questar moved operations into their new building at 333 South State Street in late March 2012.
- Mountain America Credit Union - moved into the retail level of the new Questar Building in mid March 2012.
- Pallet - Contemporary American Bistro - 237 West 400 South next to The Rose Est. coffee shop, opened in February 2012.
- HARMONS - Opened February 2012 on the corner of State Street and 100 South.
- Ray's Barber Shop - Opened a second location at 154 South Main Street in early March.
- 10,000 Villages - Featuring fair-trade products from 130 artisan groups in 38 countries, opened at 120 South Main Street on Feb 6, 2012.
- Café Metro - coffee shop & café in the lower level of the Metro Condos at 350 South 200 East, opened mid-January 2012.
- Plum Alley- a new Asian-inspired restaurant by the owner of Copper Onion in the former Sicilia Pizza location at 221 East Broadway (300 South) - opened in January 2012.
- Roula's Café - Moved from the Questar building into former T's Grill location in the lobby of the Ken Garff building at the corner of 400 South Main Street.
OPENED IN 2011:
- Southam Gallery - moved from Broadway to a new location at 152 South Main Street in late fall.
- Beckett & Robb - Men's custom clothier opened at 150 South Main Street in late fall.
- Twisted Roots - Reggae Clothing for Men, Women and Children, located at 156 South Main Street, opened this fall
- The Leonardo - Science and Technology Arts Museum in the former library building at 209 East 500 South, opened October 8, 2011.
- Toasters Deli opened a third location in the lobby of the building on 215 South State Street (formerly Anthony's Deli).
- Sicilia Pizza moved to their new location at 35 West 300 South in early fall.
- Zy: Upscale American restaurant specializing in wine and cheese- opened in late July in the former Five Star restaurant location at 268 South State Street.
- Blooms & Co. floral moved into newly remodeled building at 357 South 200 East in August.
- Michelangelo Ristorante opened a second location in the former Vienna Bistro location at 132 South Main Street in August.
- Maxwell's East Coast Eatery opened in early July on the main floor of the Boston building at 357 South Main Street.
- EZ Pawn - opened at 235 West 400 South in July.
- Bourbon House Pub - 19 East 200 South in the old Monks House of Jazz location - opened early June.
- Inferno Cantina - opened in the former SandBar location on Pierpont Ave. in mid April.
- ONE Nightclub | Lounge - in the former Quantum Ultra Lounge location at 180 West 400 South - opened in April.
- JoS. A. Banks: National men's clothing retailer - 136 South Main Street in the old Alpha Graphics space in the Kearns Building - opened April 15.
- Wasted Space Bar: 342 South State Street - opened in the former Uprok location next to the Pie Hole in January 2011.
- Pie Hole: New York style pizza by the slice. - 344 South State Street - opened in January 2011.
- Washington Square Café: in the basement of the City County Building has opened under new management in January 2011.
- Bar X at 155 East 200 South has been remodeled and reopened in January under new ownership 2011.