Larry H. Miller TOUR OF UTAH Salt Lake City Stage Four- August 13, 2011
Larry H. Miller TOUR OF UTAH Salt Lake City Stage Four presented by University of Utah Health Care Circuit Race -August 13, 2011
Reservoir Park Community Viewing Festival and Other Recommended Spectator Sites
WHAT: A new course is expected to draw huge crowds on Saturday, August 13, 2011 with Stage Four presented by University of Utah Health Care. It's a great opportunity for locals and visitors to see world-class international athletes compete on a multiple-lap circuit course around Salt Lake City's Avenues neighborhood.
- 7.4 mile circuit, 11 laps for a total of 81.4 miles
- 6,670 feet of climbing and speeds exceeding 50 m.p.h.
- Each lap is expected to take approximately 20 minutes to complete
- The peloton will pass Reservoir Park twice each circuit, allowing for 22 opportunities to see professional cyclists up close and at high speed.
WHO: Thousands of Salt Lake residents and race fans
- Food Vendors will be at Reservoir Park
- LIVE race coverage on big screen television at Reservoir Park
WHEN: Saturday, August 13 from noon to 5 p.m.
WHERE: Reservoir Park (1300 East between South Temple and 100 South)
PARKING AND ACCESS: Spectators are encouraged to take UTA, walk or ride their bicycles. Complimentary bike valet is being provided by Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective.
OTHER RECOMMENDED SPECTATOR OPPORTUNITIES:
- State Street climb, between North Temple and the Capitol -- "State Street will be an EPIC place to watch the race," said Karen Weiss, Tour of Utah Executive Director.
- University of Utah's Presidents Circle (200 South University Street, approx. 1400 East)
- The 'Start/Finish' is located on East Capitol Blvd., due east of the Capitol
- Pedestrians are welcome to walk the course kermesse-style, that is, in the opposite direction of the racers, as Belgians love to do during circuit races in their country. This affords an opportunity to get some exercise, while you enjoy more circuits than if you were to plant yourself in a single spot for the entire Stage. However, we request that you stay on the sidewalks, and do not impede the movement of local residents, police and course marshals who will be using the respites between circuits to move people in and out of the neighborhoods. Enjoy the race!
Residents along the Race Route are encouraged to host neighborhood block parties to cheer on these *world-class cyclists passing right by their homes.
(*of significance this year is that FIVE ProTeams who competed at the Tour de France will be in Utah August 9-14 for the Tour of Utah -Team RadioShack, Team BMC, HTC-Highroad, Garmin-Slipstream, and Liquigas-Cannondale.)
About the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah
Deemed "America's Toughest Stage RaceTM," the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah is a six-day, professional bicycle stage race along the Rocky Mountain's Wasatch Range. It will cover 409 miles of racing through some of Utah's most beautiful and challenging terrain. Now in its seventh year, the 2011 Tour of Utah is scheduled to take place August 9-14 as a UCI 2.1 sanctioned stage race for the best professional cyclists in the world. The event is owned and operated by the Utah Cycling Partnership. More information can be found by visiting http://www.tourofutah.com/.