Sustainable Salt Lake
Salt Lake is different — and green — by nature. It's part of our heritage and fills our views no matter where you look in Salt Lake. When settlers first came here, the Salt Lake valley didn't have many trees. Along with planting crops, planning the city, and building their farms, the settlers planted trees around the valley. If you look around now you won't have to look far for trees and nature because in Salt Lake we work to make it green. That heritage continues on with sustainable initiatives across the valley.
On this page you'll find links and information about how Salt Lake, Visit Salt Lake, and area businesses, are trying to help the environment with sustainable practices.
Visit Salt Lake
We are committed to conserving resources and preserving our environment. Some of the environmental programs at Visit Salt Lake include:
- Promoting Green Members We want the businesses in Salt Lake that embrace environmentally friendly policies to have your business. Look for a link to their green policies or check out a full list of our green members
- Cruiser Bicycles for staff to use for short errands and nearby meetings.
- Energy Conservation using CFL or other energy efficient alternatives in all lighting and all computer workstations are set to energy saving mode.
- Dishes in the break room Rather than use paper plates and foam cups.
- Recycling All recyclable waste is collected at one of 7 recycling stations within our offices and all computers, batteries, and other e-waste are recycled as needed.
- Reduction of waste Staff members of Visit Salt Lake are encouraged to avoid printing or to print two-sided when necessary.
- Paper Products All paper products used by Visit Salt Lake are printed on recycled paper.
As part of our commitment to the environment, Visit Salt Lake follows a set of Green Meeting Standards for all events sponsored or produced by our organization. more
Meet Green in Salt Lake
Join us on our journey to make our community an environmentally-sustainable host for conventions, meetings, and visitors. The Salt Palace Convention Center along with hotels and local businesses make it easier than you think to have a green meeting in Salt Lake.
Salt Lake City
The goal of the Salt Lake City Green program is to maintain a high quality of life, while ensuring a healthy, sustainable future. This comprehensive program promotes alternative transportation, greenhouse gas emission reductions, and water conservation while inviting businesses, citizens and students to institute environmentally and economically sustainable initiatives and become e2 certified. On May 27, 2008, the first e2 Business Certificate awarded during Mayor Becker's term was given to Visit Salt Lake.
Salt Lake City now has a bike sharing program for locals and visitors that provides you with an alternate, green, transportation option to get around town. When you use the bike sharing program on a 4-day or annual pass ... more
Salt Lake County Green
Salt Lake County's green efforts span a wide variety of programs including smart growth combined with the preservation of open space, building green, focusing on the Jordan River and other waterways, decreasing energy use, and increasing air quality. One of the County's hallmark programs is the Million Tree Program - a ten-year campaign to plant one million trees in Salt Lake County by 2017.
Find out more about the environmental programs in Salt Lake County.
Consumer Affairs Solar Energy Guide
The ConsumerAffairs Solar Energy Guide was created to help consumers find verified reviews, compare brands and determine which solar company best fits their needs.
The Clear the Air Challenge
This challenge, first issued in 2009 by Utah's Governor, Salt Lake City's Mayor, and Salt Lake County's Mayor, is a creative initiative to help Utah's residents drive less and drive smarter to help reduce vehicle emissions and improve Utah's air quality.
Find out more about the challenge
"Mooommmmmm, I'm boooored." It's a phrase that need never be heard in Salt Lake City again thanks to the Connect Pass, a ticket to 16 of the city's best family-friendly attractions. You can purchase the Connect Pass for a day, a few days, or spring for a full year of access....Read More