The 2016 Ski City Shootout
February 22-27, 2016
Now in its ninth consecutive year, the Ski City Shootout is once again pairing up the top professional photographers and local pro athletes to battle it out for more than $11,000 in cash prizes and bragging rights as they attempt to capture the magic of Ski City and the Cottonwood Canyon resorts on film and sensor.
New This Year
Some things have gone away, and some things have changed. Here's the lowdown:
- The Facebook Category has been retired, but the prize money has been added to the Athlete's Choice Category. Now 1st place gets $800 + a full-page ad in POWDER Magazine's Photo Annual, 2nd place gets $700, and 3rd place $500.
- Urban Meets Mountain has a new name: Off the Mountain. It will be a requirement for the eight professional photographers participating, and the winner in this category will receive $1000.
- This year a Best of Show photo will be chosen from one of the eight photographer's porfolios by the Ski City Shootout Panel of judges to win $1000.
Who's facing off in the 2016 Shootout?
Every year we have a great lineup of established professionals and up-and-coming photographers stoked on capturing winter action in ways that make people stop and pick their jaws up off the floor. Ski City and its four resort partners want the best of the best to face off in our peak-packed venue, which receives more than 500 inches of "The Greatest Snow on Earth" each year. Check out who's facing off in the 2016 Shootout.
Local Utah talent with no fear, a crazy work ethic, and an ability to collaborate with photographers to churn out centerfold-quality imagery. Professional skiers with an intimate knowledge of Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude. In short, we want athletes who know what to do, how to do it, and when to make the magic happen.
Think you have what it takes? The application deadline is December 1st.
The contest is being held over a four-day period, with one day dedicated to each Cottonwood Canyon resort, respectively: Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude. Imagery will be submitted at the end of the week in the following categories:
Ski City Portfolio
Each photographer submits a portfolio of eight photographs showcasing the best two images shot at each resort. Portfolios should capture the magic of each Cottonwood Canyon resort—showcasing what truly makes each resort special.
• 1st Place Portfolio - $3,700
• 2nd Place Portfolio - $2,700
• 3rd Place Portfolio - $1,700
Ski City is unrivaled when it comes to accessibility. You can ski all day at a world-class resort, and spend your evening dining in an urban setting, going to a Jazz game, or attending a concert.
Professional Photographers will submit a photo depicting what defines Ski City—show us how the fun in Salt Lake continues after the slopes.
• 1st Place Off the Mountain Category - $1000
Each skier, working with his or her photographer, submits one photo of his or her choice from the week, from which Ski City’s panel of judges will choose a first, second, and third-place winner. One-time photo rights of the winning image will be given to Ski City for use in an ad promoting the athlete, photographer, and the Ski City Shootout in a future POWDER Magazine issue.
• 1st Place, Athlete's Choice – Full page ad in Powder Magazine + $800
• 2nd Place, Athlete's Choice – $700
• 3rd Place, Athlete's Choice – $500
Best of Show
Ski City's panel of judges will select and award the shot of the week, from the eight photographer's portfolios, deemed "Best of Show."
• Best of Show Category - $1,000
Skiers selected to participate in the 2016 Ski City Shootout will be encouraged to submit photos throughout the competition on Instagram with the hashtag #skicity. The top three Instagram photos, chosen by Ski City’s panel of judges, will each be awarded two (2) Ski City Super Passes.