There's a lot to consider when choosing which state to live in. Will the locals trade Pokemon cards with you? Will you be mocked for LARPing in the park? Will you meet others who enjoy dressing up like Star Wars characters? For those who harbor interests considered nerdy or geekish, not all states are created equal. Estately crunched the numbers to determine which U.S. states have the most nerds per capita.
In looking at the map and chart, a few things stand out...
- The South is a virtual nerd desert, and a damn hard place to get a game of D&D going.
- Rural western states are prime habitat for nerds.
- States with large populations don't tend to have high percentages of nerds.
- Rhode Island is an island of nerdom along the coast of the Atlantic.
- California is the only place in the West where you can go to a Harry Potter movie and not sit behind a grown woman in a wizard hat.
- Utah is just so unbelievably nerdy it could be a Harry Potter theme park.
- If you want to get stuffed in a locker bring your Pokemon cards to school in Mississippi, New Jersey, or Washington, DC.