By Alex Bell, AirportRentals.com -- Dreaming of the ultimate White Christmas? The capital of Utah, Salt Lake City is the perfect Christmas holiday destination. After landing at SLC Airport and collecting your car rental, a winter wonderland lies at your doorstep. This mountainous region is renowned for having the best quality snow in the world, which just adds to its romantic feel. As you would expect, the Salt Lake weather forecast is a truly festive one, with a snowy winter. However, the view of the Rocky Mountains is extra-special at this time – yet another reason to chill out in SLC!
Salt Lake City built for winter travellers
There can be no doubting Salt Lake’s tourist reputation is built on skiing. With four world-class resorts on offer, thousands of tourists pour in every year to hit the slopes. In fact, traveller spending exceeded US$7bn in 2012 according to the Utah Office of Tourism. Branded Ski City, the local region now offers a variety of hotels, restaurants, bars and nightlife within the resorts. Municipalities such as Sandy and Holladay are all part of enhancing the urban experience – and millions of dollars have been invested.
Things to do in Salt Lake City
Let’s start with the obvious… skiing! Ski City USA offers four Cottonwood Resorts in the Wasatch Mountains, delivering some of the best ‘powder’ on the planet. These are Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton. All of these have their own different character. Alta offers a chilled-out vibe, while Snowbird is a huge mountain for your more hard-core ski experts. Solitude has a great intermediate section, while Brighton is also for those somewhat more skilled. But there are other options, including Parley’s Canyon, where you will find Park City, Deer Valley and Canyons. It really is a winter sports paradise.
But SLC is way more than a one-trick pony. Your car rental from Salt Lake City Airport will come in very handy as you negotiate the local region, and there is much to see and do. Other attractions include:
- Temple Square: With a direct airport shuttle, this is a 10-acre complex with a fascinating history dating back to 1853. Owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you will find two visitors’ centres, Salt Lake Temple and the remarkable Family History Library – the largest genealogical library in the world.
- City Creek Center: Having undergone a US$2bn redevelopment, this is described as Salt Lake’s retail centrepiece, with numerous restaurants as well as stores. Santa Claus is also known to pay a visit.
- TRAX Light Rail: Jump on the super-efficient rail line to Gilgal Sculpture Garden, with 12 original pieces of work and more than 70 stones engraved with scriptures and poems. It’s a stunning visionary art environment.
- Utah Museum of Contemporary Art: Pretty self-explanatory, the museum hosts exhibitions and special events, including talks and film/dance specials. There are in-residence artists and educators, helping to establish the site as an outstanding faculty of learning for all the family.
- Hogle Zoo: Covering 42 acres, there’s around 800 animals to get up close and personal with, including seals, sea lions, a polar bear, tigers, lions and zebras.
Why do a cold Christmas?
Whether it’s the leaves turning colour in autumn or the longer days of summer, seasonal changes are a delightful rite of passage. And everyone knows a white Christmas is something extra special. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, snowfall on the mountains… there’s a definite romance to this time. The little ones can hit the slopes with their toboggans, while an evening brandy goes down extra smooth for mum and dad. Salt Lake City is the ideal destination for this traditional adventure, with a growing tourism infrastructure, a superbly efficient International Airport with more than 700 daily flights and four ski resorts just 40 minutes away in your Utah car rental.
Salt Lake Airport Rentals – compare deals, drive away happy
Christmas time is exceptionally busy in the car rental industry. Many people are looking to go on holiday, which is why Airport Rentals is one step ahead of the game. Our network operates in more than 2000 individual airport rental car sites, with more than one million bookings already under our belt. With such a comprehensive selection of vehicles at your disposal, we’re confident you can beat the rush and land the perfect Salt Lake car rental. However, it’s always a good idea to book as far in advance as possible.
The rental process itself is straightforward. Just enter your travel details for a list of available Salt Lack vehicle rentals. From here you can filter your choice depending on class (economy, compact, medium, luxury, etc), fleet, size and availability – perhaps you need a car for the slopes immediately or can wait 24 hours. Whatever your requirements, we will provide as much information as we can, including the ‘Hot Sellers’ and ‘Cheapest on Airport’. From Hertz to Thrifty and more local companies, you are in safe hands. Also, travelling during winter can be difficult with treacherous conditions so check out our deals on deductible cover. You can never predict what’s going to happen, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.